We couldn’t be more excited: We have not one but two speakers sharing Meltwater stories at PlatformCon 22. Federico Hernandez and Simone Sciarrati work on our Foundation/Platform teams, who help the rest of the org deliver solutions faster. This post contains summaries and videos of their talks.
From 0 to Platform - Meltwater’s 6 years journey
Simone presents Meltwater’s 6 years journey from Dev vs Ops to autonomous teams (and DevOps) and the rise of our internal platform.
- The mindshift needed to move from internal services to an internal platform and what it means to treat the platform as a real product with the fellow engineers as customers
- The challenges of driving adoption when there is no company mandate to use the platform
- How ideas inspired by ShapeUP influenced our working process on the way to become a high performing team
Swapping the wheels of a running car - Migrate from Amazon VPC CNI to Cilium in Kubernetes
Federico Hernandez and Simone Sciarrati dive into how they performed the migration of the networking component for Meltwater’s production Kubernetes clusters - from the AWS VPC CNI plugin to Cilium.
Their team develops a platform on top of Kubernetes that serves 40+ teams, running 3000+ deployments and 10000+ pods utilising more than 8000 cores and 18TB memory, powering a large part of the Meltwater product.
- the reasons behind the decision to migrate to Cilium
- details of the live migration, the challenges we faced before, during and after (yes, not everything went A-OK)
- the tooling we created to test the migration process and ensure the migration would be seamless
Want even more?
To learn even more about what people in Meltwater Engineering are working on, take a look at our collection of Public Meltwater Engineering Presentations.